CINE-GWANGJU 1980 FILM FESTIVAL
40th Anniversary of the May 18 Democratic Uprising
May 21-30, 2020
Naver TV Online Independent Channel “Cine-Gwangju 1980”
- Re-exploring Korean films about the May 18 Democratic Uprising will provide viewers with an important opportunity to discuss the meaning of the uprising in today’s society.
- This film festival will help to expand the Korean public memory set firmly in the victim-perpetrator dichotomy to various counter memories of historical trauma.
- A new light can be shed on the significance of the May 18 Democratic Uprising within the global sphere, by comparing it with other cases of violence and massacre led by the state in the 20th century, as in Rwanda, Argentina, and Indonesia, and examining the resistance of the masses in each case.
- This will contribute to new discourses of memory of the May 18 Democratic Uprising, thereby creating a postmemory of the historical trauma of previous generations.
- New forms of media and technology for representing and expressing individual and collective trauma will be explored, opening up new possibilities for cinematic memory of the May 18 Democratic Uprising and other historical trauma.
Online Film Screening
- Gwangju Premiere : 11 feature and short independent films produced with funding by the Gwangju Metropolitan City and Gwangju Information and Culture Industry Promotion Agency will be premiered at this festival
- Memory of Gwangju : 15 films about the May 18 Democratic Uprising, both commercial and independent, short and feature length, will be screened.
- Global Selection : 3 independent feature films from around the globe about violence and massacre by the state and resistance by the masses will be screened.
- Gwangju VR: 5 VR films from Korea and overseas about struggles for democratization and a VR feature film produced in commemoration of the 40th anniversary of the May 18 Democratic Uprising will be screened.
- Special Screening: TBS Special Documentary on the 40th Anniversary of the Gwangju Democratic Uprising
- Online GV with directors and moderators
- Online Forum with scholars and activists
- Online Special Talk with directors and moderators